4.20.2011

Common Sense Parenting:

Seriously, people that give their kids honey barbecue chicken (BONE AND ALL) to chew on and say "Oh the bone soothes her gums". They make me very, VERY sad. I don't really judge people when it comes to what age they start feeding their kids solids cause all babies are different and I would expect there to be some interaction with a pediatrician before hand and some knowledge of what foods are AGE APPROPRIATE. But giving a FOUR MONTH OLD child a CHICKEN BONE to chew on is NOT OKAY! (I don't care if she was "in your lap" that does not magically prevent her from choking, especially since she is laying horizontally on her back which actually heightens the chances of her choking!).
Babies first food, nomnomnom!
I know I talk about parenting choices I make, mostly because people are not educated. But I would have to say this is common sense? If I asked my 9 year old sister, "Hey should I give M (5months old) a chicken bone?" she would even say "Heck NO!" This has to be somewhat common knowledge, am I right? Even dogs are not supposed to chew on bones because of the risk of choking, so why would you allow a 4 month old baby to chew on one... Now I must say this post was inspired by a situation I ran into on teh interwebz but I won't name names or post links to threads from birth boards on baby websites. But it was best described as an episode of "Maury." I don't know if anyone watches that show, but if you have seen it, you know that most of the people on there are not very bright. Maybe I am being judgmental, but if someone actually thinks it is okay to give chicken bones to a baby I think they should have their ovaries removed, stat.

No comments:

Post a Comment